By: Abby Owen
Over the summer I decided to stop eating meat. It was hard because I work at Red Robin which has few vegetarian options. After almost giving in and eating hot wings, I decided to try a new recipe for vegetarian hot wings.
I got the recipe from http://gimmedelicious.com/2016/01/31/baked-buffalo-cauliflower-wings/, making minor adjustments for some things I did not have.
Ingredients for baked wings:
1 head of cauliflower
½ cup milk (for vegan: use water or almond/soy milk)
½ cup water
¾ cup of flour
2 tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground pepper
1 cup hot sauce
1 tbsp butter (for vegan: Earth Balance buttery spread)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or oil. Preheat the oven to 425-450F.
(Make sure to really grease pan if using oil, I didn’t use enough and mine stuck to the sheet)
- Wash and cut cauliflower into bite sized pieces.
- In a bowl, mix together milk, water, flour and spices until the batter is thick.
- Dip the cauliflower in the batter, shake off any excess batter and then lay it on your sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping them halfway through so all sides bake.
- While this is baking, get together your butter and hot sauce. In a small saucepan on low, melt the butter and mix in the hot sauce. Take it away from the heat as it starts to melt.
- Once you have completed your first bake, take the cauliflower and put them in a mixing bowl. Pour the sauce over them, and then mix together. Put them back on the sheet, and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
- Once they are golden/brown, take them out. For dipping sauces, use ranch or blue cheese.
After trying them, I thought they were tasty. Two of my roommates tried them, and said they could hardly tell the difference between real wings and these.