37.6 F
Bellingham
Thursday, March 4, 2021

AS election names president, approves ESC expansion

Junior Stephanie Cheng, public relations major, was named AS president for 2016-2017 school year on Friday, April 29. // Photo by Connor Jalbert
Junior Stephanie Cheng, public relations major, was named AS president for 2016-2017 school year on Friday, April 29. // Photo by Connor Jalbert

The Associated Students’ elections came to a close at 2 p.m. April 29, with over 1,900 students participating in the vote, compared to the approximately 850 participants in last year’s election.

The new AS president will be junior Stephanie Cheng, after she won both the first and second rounds of voting. Cheng won the first round by 801 votes to James Molyneux-Elliot’s 595 and the second round by 1146 to his 747.

“I’m incredibly honored to have been voted in as AS President and look forward to tackling student issues next year with the new board,” Cheng said in an email.

The majority of students backed the referendum regarding the expansion of a Multicultural Center, with 1162 votes in support and 692 against. The center would add a fee of $30 to Western student’s tuition to aid the expansion.

About 60 percent of the funding for the center’s expansion would be drawn from the $30 fee and used to increase the size of the Ethnic Student Center by five times. The remaining 40 percent of funding would be provided by “other funding sources,” according to the referendum.

Cheng is a public relations major who has worked with the Family Outreach Program, the Western Front, and most recently the Presidential Search Advisory Committee. She said her professional background allows her to understand the values and missions of organizations she works with.

“I think learning the structure of the AS is something that’s really important and it’s something that I have had knowledge of because of my experience with administration and working with different facets of student affairs,” Cheng said during a debate.

“I’m incredibly honored to have been voted in as AS President and look forward to tackling student issues next year with the new board.”

Junior Stephanie Cheng, incoming AS President

Cheng said she wants to create a safe space for students and increase transparency among the Associated Students.

“AS is only effective with collaboration,” Cheng said during a debate. “I want to make the AS more accessible and come to you to listen to issues you’re passionate about.”

Students were elected to six vice president positions, making up the AS Board of Directors. They will serve as a voice of the student body at AS Board meetings.

The candidates elected to these positions are:

Erick Yanzon, VP for Academic Affairs

Mary Moeller, VP for Business & Operations

Wayne Rocque, VP for Student Life

Aleyda Cervantes, VP for Diversity

Bryce Hammer, VP for Governmental Affairs

Alex Lavallee, VP for Activities

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

4,028FansLike
1,241FollowersFollow
5,494FollowersFollow
74SubscribersSubscribe

Trending

NEWS BRIEF: Covid-19 variant enters Whatcom County

Officials “concerned but not alarmed” about new variant found in Whatcom County resident, as King County announces detection of...

Best sports memories from notable Bellingham figures

Stanford’s David Shaw, others recall favorite Bellingham moments. By Jordan Stone Bellingham is not known as a sports...

Twitch use grows during COVID-19 pandemic

Twitch mimics much-missed social interactions with live chats, direct engagement with streamers By Cole Mumper Ethan Harris had a Twitch account...

Latest News

Western comes out on top in home opener

Kelsey Rogers, Mollie Olson propelled team to victory By Nathan Schumock The Western Washington University women’s basketball team defeated the Saint...

More Articles Like This