In case you missed it – April 27 AS board meeting
At the Associated Students Board meeting Thursday, April 27, the Student Enhancement Fund was explained and broken down into its logistics, revision of the Health and Safety Assessment was discussed, a resolution outline for Sustainable Investing was introduced and a proposal for the Representation and Advocacy Initiative was passed.
Below are highlights from the meeting.
Student Enhancement Fund
- Tiffany Ng, SEF Facilitator, gave a presentation outlining the types of funding SEF provides, types of events SEF funding covers, student application process and recipients of SEF funding.
- SEF’s mission is “to provide funding to students in need if they are participating in special opportunities.”
- SEF provides funding for registration, travel, hotel, lodging and daily expenses.
- Events that SEF covers include academic conferences, professional development workshops, cultural awareness and development retreats, intercollegiate competitions and career fairs.
- Fund is accessible to all full-time students.
- Evaluation of applications includes a rubric including academic or education value or impact, positive change to student communities, visible impact to Western and personal and professional development.
- Eight individual students and 2 student groups have been awarded funds so far.
Health and Safety Assessment
- Students and resident advisers have expressed displeasure with the Health and Safety Assessment that Western uses when they identify a “student of concern.”
- Director of University Residence Leonard Jones and Director of the Counseling Center Shari Robinson joined this discussion.
- “It puts residents as risk. It makes them not want to come out or be honest about their mental health issues,” AS Vice President for Student Life Wayne Rocque said.
- Jones made an executive decision to cancel the assessment.
- “It needs to be evaluated and reviewed by professionals in mental health,” Jones said.
- Jones plans to create another assignment that is “much more refined.”
- AS would like to see student input incorporated into the process of the new assessment.
Sustainable Investing Resolution
- A rough outline of the resolution for the Western Foundation was presented to the AS board by Rocque.
- The resolutions goal is to “get the university to engage in divestment and sustainable investment.”
- Rocque is planning to bring the revised resolution as an action next week.
Board Proposal of Representation and Advocacy Initiate
- According to the proposal, the program promotes student and worker development through implementation of practices that provide worker and students in University Residence with development opportunities.
- AS VP for Academic Affairs Erick Yanzon presented a proposal for $15,000 over the course of two years for the Representation and Advocacy Initiative.
- Motion was passed 6-0.