Bringing Japanese Culture to Bellingham: Karaage Recipe
Kara-age, a Japanese-style fried chicken, is one of the most popular dishes, especially loved by people of the younger generation in Japan.
Kara-age originally was derived from China more than 200 years ago, during Edo era, and the dish has gone through a unique development in Japan.
I’ve been a big fan of kara-age since my childhood in Japan. As one of my last Japanese cooking recipe posts, I would like to share my own easy recipe to cook kara-age here.
Ingredients for kara-age (Makes two to three servings)
- Four pieces of medium-sized chicken thigh
- Vegetable oil
- Some pieces of lemon (optional)
- Two teaspoons of garlic paste (optional)
- Two teaspoons of ginger paste (optional)
- One tablespoon of soy sauce
- One tablespoon of mirin, sweet cooking rice seasoning, or Japanese cooking sake
- One or less teaspoon of sesame oil