Farmer’s Market Foodie: Stuffed Chicken Breast
I am always trying to think of creative ways to cook chicken breast, which has become a staple for me since I began living on my own. Rather than sautéing the chicken breast, I decided to bake them. Often baked chicken breast can turn out a bit dry; to combat this I like to stuff the chicken breast with fresh ingredients to add extra flavor and avoid the bland, over-cooked, baked chicken breast.
For my recipe, I used spinach and chives that I picked up from the Saturday morning Bellingham Farmers Market. I bought the mushrooms, seasonings and feta cheese from the grocery store. The recipe was just something I threw together and can be tweaked depending on preference. Although, for any stuffing, I recommend having a variety of vegetables and some sort of cheese to act as a glue to holds the filling together.
Stuffed Chicken Breast
About 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 cup of crumbled feta cheese
½ cup of white mushrooms
¼ cup of chopped chives
½ teaspoon of thyme
½ teaspoon of oregano
½ teaspoon of basil
½ teaspoon of rosemary
½ teaspoon of spinach
2 tablespoons of olive oil
½ cup of spinach
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine mushrooms, feta cheese, spinach and chives to create the filling.
- Cut each breast in half.
- With a small knife make an incision in each piece of chicken breast big enough to fill with the cheese, spinach, chives and mushrooms.
- With a small spoon, or your hand, stuff each piece of chicken with the filling. This may be a bit of a challenge, but add as much filling to each breast as possible.
- Coat a 9 inch by 13 inch glass baking dish with olive oil and place the stuffed chicken in the pan.
- Lightly drizzle the tops of the chicken breast with olive oil and sprinkle the seasonings over them. Make sure to flip the chicken over to season both sides.
- Cook chicken breasts at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, then flip them over in order to brown on both sides.
- Cook for another 10 minutes or until the chicken breasts reaches 165 degrees (fully cooked).